Keeping the beat
In this edition of the #EUBlockchain newsletter, we'd like to share with you what the Observatory and Forum has been up to during the summer and all you need to know about upcoming activities; including workshops and publications.
As always, if you want to monitor the conversation or have your say, you are invited to join our online community. We look forward to seeing you there!
An expanding repository of knowledge
A main goal of the Observatory and Forum is to build research and analysis on various blockchain topics. New content is continuously being produced and this month has seen the release of two major publications:
- Thematic report on Blockchain Innovation in Europe. In this paper we aim to set the scene for the Observatory and Forum's work by examining the state of blockchain innovation in Europe today, looking at both Europe's strengths and weaknesses vis-à-vis this technology, and making recommendations on where we think Europe should set its priorities in the future.
- Academic paper on Government services and digital identity. This paper was prepared by the Knowledge Media Institute of the Open University. It explores the main applications of blockchain in government services and the current state of the art as well as provides recommendations.
Our EU Blockchain Map now also counts more than 370 projects registered! The initiative is intended to support a better understanding of the blockchain technology and innovation landscape by dynamically mapping existing blockchain projects, initiatives and events in Europe. Let us know about your projects easily using this form.
Upcoming events and items of interest
Three European-wide workshops will be organised by the Observatory and Forum before the end of the year. They are a great opportunity to delve more deeply into topics and provide comment and input for the reports. These workshops are open to working group members and selected invitees. Here is what's coming:
- Scalability, interoperability and sustainability workshop. Berlin, October 2. Visit the dedicated channel to be updated on this event and have the opportunity to register.
- Identity workshop. Brussels, mid-November.
- Use cases in financial services workshop. London, mid-December.
Publications in preparation
You can expect more thought leadership coming out of the Observatory and Forum in the next few weeks.
- First up, our thematic report on GDPR will be published in September after a fruitful period of discussions and research on this topic.
- Second in line, a research paper on Scalability, interoperability and sustainability is being prepared by the Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts, an academic partner of the Observatory and Forum. This paper will feed the discussion of this newly opened theme.
- Finally, the third thematic report on Government services and digital identity will see its public release in October.
Inputs from the community have a major role in shaping these publications. Conversations are happening every day between the 1,000 members of the eublockchain.mobilize.io community, so if you're not yet registered, we encourage you to do so.
None of this is possible without the active contribution of many of you.
The EU Blockchain Observatory & Forum