This is the official newsletter of the European Union Blockchain Observatory & Forum
We are pleased to present our monthly update of the activities of the European Union Blockchain Observatory & Forum.
Save the date: 8 July 2022, in Brussels!
The first largescale physical event organised by the EU Blockchain Observatory and Forum since 2020 will take place this summer!
Stay tuned to find out more about the agenda, venue and registration!
Information will be published on our website very soon!
The following reports are slated for publication.
- Scheduled for publication at the end of the month, May’s Trends Report will bring you in touch with the latest technology, market and regulatory developments in Europe and beyond.
Check out our website to find out more!
- A thematic report on Decentralised Finance (DeFi). The aim is to define and present the main principles of DeFi. It will also give details about the DeFi market size, the concepts of Decentralised Lending and Borrowing as well as Decentralised Exchanges and other notable DeFi Concepts. This report will be published by the end of May, accompanied by an infographic, summing up the main findings and highlights.
- A thematic report focussing on Blockchain applications in the Energy Sector is slated for publication this month. It will provide an overview of blockchain technology in the energy sector. Based on interviews with experts, the report also examines the standardisation activities, use cases in the sector, status of R&D and innovation, regulatory challenges and barriers, as well as insights directly from the industry. It will provide policy and regulatory recommendations for the future development of blockchain applications in the energy sector. The report will be accompanied by an infographic providing key insights from the report.
- The revision of a thematic report exploring the latest developments of the EU Blockchain Ecosystem. Covering 31 countries in Europe, this report will provide insights on trends and developments as regards regulations, education and training initiatives and industry. It will be published by the end of June 2022.
The latest edition of the EU Blockchain Observatory and Forum’s sought-after Trends Report is now online! Download it to catch up on all the latest technological trends and developments in the #blockchain ecosystem, in EU and worldwide.
Get first-hand insights & updates from the experts.
In February, the EU Blockchain Observatory and Forum published its long-awaited thematic report focused on Blockchain applications in the healthcare sector. The report covers challenges in the healthcare industry, and examines the regulatory, privacy and ethical implications. It also presents blockchain applications for healthcare data storage and transparency for the pharmaceutical and healthcare supply chain. The report includes a dedicated chapter exploring the role of blockchain applications for COVID‑19 pandemic management. Expert interviews are also included to support our team’s research findings.
The report is available for reading and downloading here.
Stay tuned for more updates!
ONTOCHAIN Summit for Trustworthy Internet: registrations are open
The first ONTOCHAIN Summit will be held on 1–2 June 2022 in Berlin. Participants at this two-day event will discuss how to build a trustworthy internet and present key ONTOCHAIN software services and demonstrations.
- Learn how ONTOCHAIN contributes to the Next Generation Internet and how you can participate in its development.
- Apply for grants up to €150 000 (equity free), coaching, access to cutting-edge infrastructure and visibility.
- Pitch your project/idea that could contribute to the ONTOCHAIN software ecosystem.
- Meet 100+ internet innovators and industry-defining leaders.
EUBOF Workshop on Blockchain applications in the Energy Sector
To discuss blockchain applications in the energy sector, the EU Blockchain Observatory and Forum is organising a workshop on 15 June 2022. The workshop will present the latest report published by the Observatory, focusing on the energy sector. It also explores the EU action plan for digitalisation of energy.
There will be expert panel discussions focusing on the following topics:
- Standardisation Activities of DLT in the energy sector
- From Theory to Practice: Tales from the industry
- Status of R&D Innovation in Europe
Agenda to follow soon!
Save the date and register here to join this event!
EUBOF workshop on Metaverse in association with INATBA
On 24 May, a workshop titled “Metaverse – why all the hype?” was held virtually to discuss Metaverse and the relevant opportunities and threats arising with this new digital space from the academic and industry perspective.
The event included presentations from academia and the industry as well as an expert panel.
The summary report of the event will be shared soon.
EUBOF Workshop on Smart Contracts
Smart contracts are simply programs stored on a blockchain that run when predetermined conditions are met. They typically are used to automate the execution of an agreement so that all participants can be immediately certain of the outcome, without delay or the involvement of an intermediary. They can also automate a workflow, triggering the next action after conditions are met.
The workshop was held on 10 March. More than 260 people registered and 200 participated.
The event aimed to shed light on smart contracts.
- Define the concept.
- Explain how they work.
- Discuss the benefits.
- Explore applications and use cases.